[CLUE-Tech] crontab not working

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Sep 27 07:38:07 MDT 2002

Ski Dawg wrote:
[...]
> I just figured out what was going on with my cron daemon. Basically, the
> cron daemon was not reading any changes to the crontab files in
> /var/spool/cron or the file /etc/crontab.

There are (at least) two versions of cron.  One (by Paul Vixie) checks
its files every minute and re-reads them if they've changed.  The other
has to be told to re-read its files.  IIRC, there is a way to tell it to
update, restarting isn't necessary.

Vixie cron is a little unusual.  It seems more common for daemons to
require a restart (or typically kill -HUP) to tell them their config has
changed.  Sometimes you can run the program again with a special switch
e.g., init -q (for some versions) will tell init that the inittab has
changed.

Sometimes you find out the program that's running isn't the one you have
docs on.