[CLUE-Tech] upgrading apache

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Mon Sep 30 15:25:49 MDT 2002

www.apachetoolbox.com is your friend

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Jeffery Cann
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 6:54 AM
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] upgrading apache

On Thursday 26 September 2002 08:31 pm, Jason S. Friedman wrote:
> I know I can force it, and then install apache from source, and that many
> of those packages can be reinstalled (possibly via rpm, possibly via
> source), but what are some of the ramifications?

Jason,

1.  Since you want to install apache from source, it may be important that
the
modules have the correct files available for the apache compilation (i.e.,
they are binary packages).  This is important if you are compiling modules
directly into apache.  If you are using DSO (Dynamically Shared Object)
modules, then you are probably OK.

2.  The other potential problem is that your source installation may not put
things where the operating system expects them (compared to a binary
installation).  So, pay attention to where your init scripts, conf files,
etc. are now and try to get the new ones in the same place.

3.  If you force a binary install of apache 1.x, it will probably work
without
a hitch.

4.  If you wish to install apache 2.0, then there are other ramifications
because the module API changed significantly and some / all of the modules
you have installed may not be ready for apache 2.0.

5.  If I were doing this, I would just force uninstall of apache and then
force install a binary apache (or maybe do a binary upgrade).   Unless you
have specific reasons for compiling apache from source, the stock
distribution builds should be fine.

HTH,
Jeff