[CLUE-Tech] PPP Modules and Kernel Building

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 1 12:21:40 MST 2003

Hi Folks.

I'm still wringing the bugs out of RH8.0. This one, really, isn't a RH8.0
problem exactly, although I don't know the extent to which they muck with
the kernel build. (They do, or have in the past, distributed patched
kernels.)

The problem is the ppp compression modules. The std kernel build from RH
contains ppp_deflate. I can't seem to get it to be built. There's also a
bsd compression module, although deflate is said to be preferrable.

But it appears that there's some issues in the kernel build. I did about 4
config/compiles trying to come up with the right combination. In the
"Network Device Support" section, I can enable the deflate compression as
a module, but that greys out the zlib compression module in "Library
Routines". With this config, I get symbol errors trying to load the
ppp_deflate module. Sorry, that was a while back, and I don't have the
exact error message, but I traced it back to the zlib compression module.

Lots of web searching, including the LKML, didn't come up with anything
informative.

At the moment, I'm running without any ppp compression. I have these
errors in /var/log/messages, every time I fire up my ppp.

  modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21
  modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-26
  modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-24

So, OK, I have a new string to google for here, but I'm pretty confident
it will boil down to the same issue -- getting the both the zlib module
and the ppp_deflate module to build with the kernel compile. Yes, I could
to two seperate compiles, and copy the resultant modules into their
respective directories, but I don't know that that would result with the
right symbol exports and dependencies being built.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl