[CLUE-Tech] Total newbie here....it's not easy being green ;)

e z edszr at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 6 14:11:18 MDT 2003

Hi there,

My name is Ed and I'm just getting into Linux a bit.  I have 2 questions
that I would appreciate any help with:

1)I read somewhere that Linux will work on older equipment, and I was hoping
someone could tell me if my old machine would be adequate or not.  It's an
old Gateway with a 1Gb hard drive, Pentium 100 with either 128 or 256
memory.

2)My current machine is an HP, 100 gb hard drive, Athlon 1.4 ghz and 256k
memory.  If I were to put Linux on here and keep windows, would I have to
partition my hard drive and all that, or would Mandrake/Red Hat help me out
with that upon installation?

As I said, any help/insights would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time,
ed