[CLUE-Tech] KDE/Qt preferences problem

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 8 16:47:48 MDT 2003

Hi Folks.

Are there any KDE/Qt heavyweights out here?

I'm trying to figure out how to do simple things, but I think the KDE/Qt
designers must have aimed for the opposite of the Perl philosophy (Simple
things should be easy ...).

As these two images show, the app menus use a different font depending
upon whether I'm running a Qt app under KDE, or under Fvwm.

http://rockchucker.com/objects/kate-kde.png
http://rockchucker.com/objects/kate-fvwm.png

Noting that under Fvwm, the menu looks like it's using an 8pt font, which
gets kinda hard on my eyes after a while. Apparently, using the K control
center to change these things affects only some mystical configuration
server gizmo which is used only when KDE is running. It looks like these
sorts of settings are stored in ~/.kderc and not ~/.qt/qtrc and copying
them to ~/.qt/qtrc has no effect.

BTW, similar problems exist with Gnome2.

Does anyone know of any articles, written at a level somewhere between the
"push these buttons" and the Burkhard Lehner level, for how KDE/Qt
invokes/uses config files?

(Burkhard Lehner is the author of "KDE- und Qt- Programmierung")

TIA.
jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl