[CLUE-Tech] sshd

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 15 18:25:18 MDT 2003

Mike Staver wrote:
> I just ended up uninstalling the rpms for ssh and reinstalling them, and
> it's fine now.  When I did a:
>
> locate ssh
>
> It returned this directory:
>
> /etc/ssh/ssh-config

Locate (slocate) won't show files you can't read.  The sshd config file
is /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  Also on RH sshd logs to /var/log/secure though
there probably isn't any better info there than in messages.

> Well, when I tried to look at it, /etc/ssh didn't exist.  So, the reason
> ssh wouldn't start is because that directory magically disappeared...
> which bothers me.  I just reinstalled it, and it's fine for now, but I'm
> still wondering how it went away to begin with.

The sshd script does check that the server keys exist (in /etc/ssh) and
generates them if they don't.  Which fails if /etc/ssh doesn't exist.

You can look in users' history files for commands that might have
removed that directory.  You can also look at the sudo logs if you use that.