[CLUE-Tech] bug in SETI@home 3.08 for Linux

George Veskov jkxx at mail.bg
Mon Apr 21 21:12:00 MDT 2003

Perhaps someone else has noticed this, but because I haven't seen any
posts about it I'll summarize the issue quickly.

SETI at home recently released a new version of the SETI at home client (3.08)
for all OS'es, including windoze and linux. The win32 version works fine,
but the linux one has a huge bug which effectively makes it unusable. Upon
running the client, a file will be created in the current user's home
directory under the name .xsession-errors. (In my case, this was
/home/george/.xsession-errors). As long as SETI at home is left running, this
file will grow at a rate of 200-300 MB/sec, and it will use up all
available disk space in a matter of minutes. I am not quite sure what
exactly is causing the behavior, but the source is definitely SETI at home.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

P.S. The file does not show up under normal ls listing or from within
Konqueror by default. Use 'ls -a' from the command line to see if the file
is present. Deleting this file immediately frees up the used disk space,
although I found out that a reboot is necessary for Linux to actually
begin to utilize that space.

Shell SMART Online. Регистрирай се и спечели 50 бонус точки на
своята SMART карта - https://www.smart-online.hu/smart/index.html?site=7