[CLUE-Tech] Poor man's Ghost?

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Wed Apr 23 14:53:23 MDT 2003

On Wednesday, 23 April 2003 at 14:34:28 -0600, Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if it is feasible, using some Linux distribution or
> other on a floppy or two or three, to:
>
>   1. Boot up a machine and connect it to a LAN;
>   2. Mount a network drive; and
>   3. Create an image of a local partition on the network drive
>       i.e., something like:
>
>         $ dd if=/dev/hda of=/network/drive/hda1.img
>
> In case you're curious why, I want to copy my wife's Win98 system to
> a new hard disk. The machine is a laptop, so we can't readily install
> another HD alongside the existing one. And we have the product
> recovery CD, but it's not bootable, and the boot floppy seems to be
> in a box in her parents' barn in northern Japan.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?

I've not done it, but I've seen/heard of people doing similar things
with Knoppix.  I don't recall where, maybe this list?

The closest similarity was someone booting Knoppix then doing network
backups of a Win9x system using tar and/or rsync.  Seems if it works
with tar and rsync then it would with dd.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/