[CLUE-Tech] Poor man's Ghost?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Apr 23 19:42:50 MDT 2003

Useful info.  First question:  does this work for XP?  My wife has an XP
box (and I know next to nothing about administering it, except for
getting its network running through my Linux firewall) and she worried
about being able to recover from a disk failure.  Is this the process I
could use to completely recover the disk image?  IE, does this make good
sense for backup recovery?

I can't even backup her data files currently because I can't get Samba
working (I think it's a firewall issue on my backup machine, however).
I don't know anything about backing up the OS and applications
(Photoshop, InDesign, etc.).  I don't even have a boot diskette for that
machine.

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 18:41, David Willson wrote:
> The programs you want are 'partimage' and 'parted', preferably run from
> a recent Knoppix CD.  I've done what you want to do about a dozen times,
> though only once with the resizing that I assume you will want.
>
> Here's da process:
> 1. Boot the reference system from KNOPPIX.
> 2. Mount a writable network resource.
> 3. Use 'partimage' to backup the source partition to the mounted
> resource.
> 4. Boot the destination system from a Win98 EBD, a GeekDisk (TM), or
> KNOPPIX.

Does "destination" system mean "reference" system or "backup" system?

> 5. Create a primary DOS partition as nearly identical to the source
> partition as possible, a few MB bigger won't hurt, but a few MB smaller
> might.  Pay strict attention to the Active flag!  It ~must~ be thrown,
> or you'll get unexpected results.
> 6. Boot from KNOPPIX
> 7. Mount the network resource.
> 8. Restore the image to the new partition using 'partimage'.
> 7. Use 'parted' to expand the partition to the desired size.
> 8. Reboot from the hard-drive.

I missed the early part of this thread, but I assume we're trying to
disk duplicate on the same machine from which the original (source)
image was backed up.  Is this correct?

Interesting this subject would come up just now.  My wife was just
asking about this, and pseudo-computer-guru she-thinks-I-am, I had no
answer.  *sigh*
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com