[CLUE-Tech] Man, this guy really hates SuSE 8.2!

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 09:46:02 MDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:59:39PM -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:

This guy doesn't seem to like any of the distributions:

<quote>
Which would not be such a pity if the underlying distribution weren't
remarkably good, or at least hadn't in the past been so. The
alternatives are tragically limited. One can become a slave to Red Hat,
one can attempt to take Mandrake seriously -- a losing proposition --
one can become a monk of the Debian cult, or turn into a Gentoo zombie,
or pretend that Slackware is still mainstream. Or one can (try to) use
SuSE
</quote>

This guy writes with a disgruntled style, and I think the above
paragraph demonstrates this admirably.  I also think he's doing quite the
disservice to his readers.  For instance, he refuses to learn/use grub -
okay thats his choice, but then he should recuse himself from reviewing
distros that use grub, not harp and knock on the distro because it
doesn't use the technology he likes.  I do not doubt he had a hard time
installing SuSE, and perhaps 8.2 really does suck, but I began reading
his rant with a grain of salt when he didn't even have enough sense to
do init=/bin/sh for console mode.  Whether you know grub or not, that is
simply not *so bloody hard*.

I'd like to see this guy write a review of his own LFS system :^)

> So, is YaST really that bad?
I'm using SuSE 8.1 on two different notebooks, and SuSE 7 something on a
desktop at home and I've NEVER had this kind of headache installing SuSE
(note that upgrading I don't do, I just do fresh installs install).  I
was able to get SuSE on my Alphas in a weekend, (the largest heartache
being learning the Alpha hardware/firmware).  I've heard others knock
SuSE but its the usual YMMV.  I personally enjoy the distro.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
kehellman at yahoo.com               from disclaimer import standard

Experience is a harsh teacher.  She gives the test before you learn the
lesson.