[CLUE-Tech] Hacker question

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Aug 1 10:15:15 MDT 2003

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
[...]
> Might want to look up a few tools on SourceForge for the hacking
> end, then think about Bastille and/or SE Linux for hardening things.

Bastille has a good rep, especially for teaching you what it does so you
become more security aware by using it.  I think that SE Linux is not
for general purpose systems.

SE Linux has added features for things like mandatory access control (as
opposed to discretionary access control) and access control lists.
Those are most useful for a server that has to support multiple users at
multiple security levels.  It does not do much at all to stop attacks on
application holes.  Although it can limit damage from attacks, its
security model is considerably more complex than stock Linux and
probably not worth the effort.

Anyone using SE Linux for a production system?