[CLUE-Tech] Question on mounting a new scsi drive

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Aug 9 22:37:57 MDT 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:23:00 -0600
Matt Gushee <matt at gushee.net> wrote:

> So to get back to your original question--in case you haven't already
> figured it out--all you have to do is:
>
>     $ mkdir /abc
>
> That directory is part of the VFS; it's not on any drive at all.

Well, yes it is.

[root /]# ls -od tauceti
drwxrwxrwx    8 root         4096 Mar 10 21:27 tauceti
[root /]# ls tauceti/
drumming  jbaer  lost+found  mp3  music  mysql
[root /]# umount /tauceti/
[root /]# ls tauceti/
[root /]# touch tauceti/junk
[root /]# ls tauceti/
junk
[root /]# rm tauceti/junk
[root /]# mount /tauceti/
[root /]# ls /tauceti/
drumming  jbaer  lost+found  mp3  music  mysql

Way back when I was first messing with Unix, this bit me. I don't remember
the circumstances, but the partition wasn't mounted, and I damn well knew
those files were there. To top it off, I'd also managed to create a new
subdirectory with files there. For a better example, I shouldn't have
removed the file before remounting the filesystem -- would have made a
better example, because the file would appear to be gone after the mount.

Actually, I still think this is just a little wierd. I mean, it makes
sense that there has to be a directory entry in / (or wherever) for the
mount point. But it would be nifty if it were flagged as a "mount point"
entry, instead of being a real directory.

jed