[CLUE-Tech] sshd question

David Guntner davidg at akaMail.com
Mon Aug 11 12:46:37 MDT 2003

David Anselmi grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> David Guntner wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > Trust me, you *don't* want to support Protocol 1.  At all.
>
> Strong words without a complete risk analysis.  Can you explain what an
> attacker would have to do to exploit the version 1 protocol, so Kevin
> can make an informed decision about using it?

I'm sure another Google search, this time for ssh protocol 1, would provide
that information for him better than I could. :-)  Short version:  Protocol
1 has had numerous security problems in the past and has been broken a
number of times.

> Of course there isn't anything in Kevin's log to suggest that he is
> using version 1.

I didn't say there was.  But the default configuration has "Protocol 2,1"
in it, meaning that it prefers protocol 2 but will fall back to protocol 1
if that's what's offered.  By removing ",1" it will no longer support that
protocol on a connecting client, which then denies an attacker one avenue
of attack.  I've seen any number of security discussions which end up
mentioning that protocol 1 should be avoided at all costs.

                --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server