[CLUE-Tech] Data models, diagrams, process models documentation

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Aug 17 12:47:17 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 11:35, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:10:19 -0600
> David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:
> > Hear, hear!  At my last job, part of the CM I did was to develop a way
> > to apply DB changes consistently.  That can be a tricky thing and what I
> > wrote wasn't bulletproof.  But at least I could be confident that the
> > testers were testing what would go to production.

Good on you, Dave, it's nice to know that someone other than "hackin'"
people can be more consistent in their work.

> Dave's example is perfect for illustrating the failure of process, not the
> tool. High-level tools can make many pieces of the process easier for
> humans, but human failure to adhere to the process, whether it involves
> scripts generated by a programmer, and executed from the command line, or
> generated and executed from within a high-level tool, is the ultimate
> cause of the majority of implementation failures.

Absolutely!!!  Good point, Jed. The real question: what can we learn
from this and apply for the next time to reduce the amount of failures,
notice I said REDUCE, not eliminate.  You can get close to 100%, but
never 100%.

Kevin
--
Kevin Cullis