[CLUE-Tech] Data models, diagrams, process models documentation

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Aug 17 17:19:20 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 16:38, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> > Nothing wrong about caring about your craft, I wish more would, but then
> > the PHBs would get out of the way a lot more.  But do spend some time
> > educating those that are ignorant, but you can leave the stupid ones
> > behind and let the less ignorant ones to help them.  You just
> > concentrate on those that are one level below you AND want to learn.
>
> True. The problem is, there is only so much you can do...and I certainly
> don't have the answers or think I'm on some mountaintop handing down wisdom.
> I just think that in order to really be effective at whatever you do, you
> should seek better ways of doing it, whether this be through exploring new
> tools, languages, or methods.

And work with those that want to do the same.  Notice how difficult it
is working with those that DO NOT want to improve!  I've been "kicked
out" of more groups because I want to learn, but sometimes don't have
the time, more about everything.

> The person mentioned in above conversation was someone supposedly developing
> for 2 or 3 years in Java! Of course, it goes without saying that they read
> no Java-related mags, never went to a user group, never heard of ACM, Dr.
> Dobbs, Mythical Man-Month, Peopleware, UML, CMM, etc, and absolutely no
> interest, either...while none of these things will necessarily make a better
> programmer or manager, it shows that the individual at least has an
> awareness and an interest in what they do.

It goes to show that they'll be "left behind" at somepoint.  It's tough
to fly with the eagles when you're around turkeys ;-)

> Someone can point the way, but after that, it really has to be up to to an
> individual to do the work themselves. If they don't, then as far as I'm
> concerned, they fall into the one of the above categories along with the
> lazy/indifferent category. Trying to make someone else understand some of
> these things is like the old standby fiscal conservatives use regarding
> attempts to raise people out of poverty: it's comparable to trying to make
> someone else fit by working out for them...

Mind if I quote you ;-)

Kevin