[CLUE-Tech] Alternative Architectures

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Aug 17 23:07:27 MDT 2003

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:41:33 -0600
"Bill O'Neil" <bill.oneil at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of another computer, and I will not buy
> Intel or AMD.  After reading many articles on "trusted" computing, I
> have decided I want no part of this, so this purchase may be the last
> computer I ever buy.

You might want to head for the newsstand, and pick up the latest issue of
Linux Journal. Turn to page 50.

TCPA is an architecture. The usages it gets put to are a seperate issue. I
can use a hammer to build a house, or bash my knuckles (yes, I've done
both). IBM has already built libraries for accessing TCPA chips under
Linux.

Also, the presence of TCPA hardware doesn't necessarily require the usage
of it in any particular fashion. I'd say it's a little early for
boycotting processor mfrs.

AFAIK, your options would be something based on Transmeta's Crusoe chip,
or there's a fairly new CPU from VIA, I think -- but it's a lightweight
performer compared to Intel/AMD, IIRC.

jed