[CLUE-Tech] Anyone Running Wine?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Aug 21 14:43:50 MDT 2003

Hi Folks.

I decided to see if I could get Wine working. Not the Crossover or WineX
versions -- just plain old Wine. So I grabbed an RPM from rpmseek for RH
8.0 (the 20020605 version). It installed just fine. As a quickie
smoke-test, I fired up notepad. Other than waaaay too many "fixme" errors
about font metrics (no surprise, I guess), it ran.

But it won't successfully install any software, AFAICT. I tried:

 + Corel PhotoPaint7
 + Word97
 + Eudora 5.2.1
 + Pegasus 4.2

Varying errors and problems; mostly missing DLLs.

The Pegasus install failed on trying to read files from the "E:" drive.
Since the CDROM is mapped as D:, and E: points to /tmp, I dunno what it,
or Wine, was thinking there.

The Corel install was strange, in that the component selection "tree"
widget would resond to mouse clicks only for expand/contract of tree
elements, and highlighting. It would not respond to mouse clicks to
[de]select components. There were also some mapping problems, where one
widget would overlay a portion of some other widget.

The Eudora install actually triggered an exception, bringing up the
WindeDBG window. But it wouldn't accept keyboard focus.

So, I'm curious if anyone is successfully using the vanilla Wine for
anything?

jed