[CLUE-Tech] follow-up on SSH problem

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Fri Aug 22 20:58:49 MDT 2003

For the benefit of all (who care), my SSH problem at work was caused, I believe, by some magic on the ports on the work end.

Perhaps the connection was going through some kind of proxy, but attempts to connect via SSH from work yielded this error message in /var/log/secure:

Aug 22 21:38:31 abigail sshd[32162]: Did not receive identification string from 63.85.19.3

I edited my firewall to redirect traffic from work on port 110 to port 22.  I retried (ssh -p 110 ...), and I was able to connect.  My conclusion is that the network at work was adding (or removing) something from the traffic it thought was destined for someone else's port 22, but it does not molest traffic it thinks is destined for someone else's port 110.