[CLUE-Tech] Getting the IP

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Sat Aug 23 21:51:35 MDT 2003

DHCP is a means of automatically allocating IP addresses. Either a
host file or DNS maps a host name to an IP address. You will probably
need to write a script to allow DHCP and DNS to synchronize. DHCP came
out of the windows world. DNS came out of the the Unix world.

With DNS3, when it becomes available, you may be able to do this. Also,
you might want to take a look at the Zeroconf project. Apple are doing
some work on this project. Search Google for this one. Also, Linux
Journal or Linux Magazine did a recent article on this one.

Match