[CLUE-Tech] Debian 3.0r1, rescue mode from CD 1

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 14:45:34 MDT 2003

Hi Folks,

I'm checking out Debian 3.0r1, and wanted to look over the "rescue" mode of
the first CD, since I am familiar with the "linux rescue" invocation of
Mandrake and RedHat.

The CD should be OK because I've used it to install a Debian system on the
same machine.

When I type "linux rescue" at the boot: prompt of CD-1, I get the normal
screenfuls of dmesg info, then it says:

    "Kernel panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 3a:05"

I'm expecting a stand alone rescue mode to appear.  To test some other
utilities (gpart, for example) I zeroed the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda, so
passing in an argument like "root=/dev/hda2" isn't applicable to this
situation.

Debian was installed on a known good hard disk, I've performed multiple RedHat
(and other OS) installs.  What appears to be an alternate rescue invocation
"linux resccomp" gives the same results.

This is for testing only, I don't have a crashed system to fix (yet.)

Ideas ?  Thanks in advance.

=====Keith