[CLUE-Tech] Ricochet Wireless Modems

Jay Seven Ess j7s12b at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 27 19:34:11 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 17:43, Mike Giles wrote:
> I am using Mandrake 9.1 and I have tried all the tutorials to get my
> Ricochet External Modem to work and nothing does.  I am running the
> modem through USB.  I am also using KDE.  Not being able to use the
> internet with Linux is very frustrating.  I am a complete Linux
> newbie but I do know my way around a computer.  Any help would be
> great you guys are my final hope.

Not sure if this is an issue with hardware support, drivers, or USB but
I use a USB Creative Modem Blaster on this RedHat 9 (and previously
various Mandrake installations) box. It requires /dev/modem to be sym
linked to /dev/usb/ttyACMx

[root at biko dev]# lsl mod*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root  11 May 30 23:34 modem -> usb/ttyACM0

and then the software (kppp in my case) has to be pointed to use
/dev/modem. IIRC, /dev/modem already existed so I had to

$ cd /dev
$ rm modem
$ ln -s  usb/ttyACM0 modem

Google for "usb modem HOWTO" for more info on this or find it in your
system HOWTO's documentation.

hope that helps