[CLUE-Tech] Java "Disabled" in Mozilla web browser, but not in Konqueror

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Aug 30 09:45:44 MDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 11:11, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> This is what I downloaded last night:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 kevin1   users       54212 2003-08-29 22:12
> j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin
> -rw-------    1 kevin1   users    13573048 2003-08-29 20:25
> j2re-1_4_2_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>
> What I find interesting and would like to know is:
>
> Why Konqueror "works" but Mozilla doesn't?  Can anyone 'splain this?
> What's JAVA got to do with it?

Hi Kevin,

When you say "works", I assume that you're referring to the ability to
display the page at < http://www.mymls.com >, right?  If so, then there
are more things at play here than "just java".  Namely, the *IDIOTS* who
wrote the mls.com site seem to have used some javascript code to try to
determine what kind of browser that you have and whether it "supports"
java or not.  Such javascript hacks are notorious for working only with
particular versions of particular browsers and not working with browsers
that the (*idiot*) authors didn't anticipate.

For example, my browser of choice is Galeon which is based upon Mozilla
and uses the Mozilla rendering engine.  So it should be able to work on
*every* page that the associated version of Mozilla works with.  Right?
Well, that crappy mymls.com site works for me with Mozilla and *doesn't*
using Galeon.  Why?  I'm convinced its a bit of javascript that tries to
be "cute" about detecting the browser type and it fails when it
encounters Galeon.  Lovely.  This is *not* how web pages should be
written.

So I don't know what your specific problems with Mozilla are.  I'm using
the up2date version of Mozilla for Red Hat 9:

  [XXX YYY]: rpm -qa | grep mozilla
  mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-mail-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-js-debugger-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-nss-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-dom-inspector-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-psm-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-chat-1.2.1-26
  mozilla-1.2.1-26

and the current Java2SE SDK from Sun:

  [XXX YYY]: rpm -qa | grep j2
  j2sdk-1.4.2_01-fcs

with the plugin link:

  [eddy edhill]: ll /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/plugins/ | grep java
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           70 Aug 30 00:04
libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
../../../java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and I am able to display the < http://www.mymls.com > site just fine
with Mozilla.

Please check that you have the proper link (*NOT* a copy of the library,
it *HAS* to be a soft-link done with "ln -s") and it should work for
you.

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com