[CLUE-Tech] DVD Writers under Linux

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Mon Dec 1 19:34:58 MST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:52:24 -0700
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

> Just curious, is anyone using a DVD-R/RW drive w/Linux, and (if so)
> which models are known good with Linux? I could hit google, but I'm
> curious if anyone nearby is actually using a DVD-R/RW drive with Linux
> successfully.
>
> Any recommendations are appreciated...

Yes, I have had very good luck with the NEC drives down at ContactPC
on Santa Fe.  The are +/-, and they are $149.00, and they are solid
on both Windows and in Linux on every type of media I tried.  I've
purchased two of them.  They are classified as New Pulls but from
the looks of them they have never been installed.  I'm guessing they
were manufacturer's repair stock that was never needed and now are
showing up at ContactPC.

Product Profile

4X2.4X12 DVD+/-R/RW + 16X10X40 CDRW NEC
Item Code 	DVW005
Price 	$ 149.00
Weight 	2.5
Stock 	2
Model 	ND-1300A
Brand 	NEW PULLS - 90-DAY WARRANTY
Manufacturer 	NEC
Category 	CD / CDRW / DVD / DVDRW
Qty Disc. 	:3.00
Disc. Code 	:3.00
Disc. Percent 	:1.00
Description

*** DUAL-FORMAT DVD+/-R/RW 4X NEC ***

Notes/Specifications

    * NEC MODEL : ND-1300A
    * DVD-/+R/RW (Dual Format!!)4x2.4x12 / CDRW 16X10X40
    * OS Compatibility: Win 98se/ME/2K/XP
    * NEW
    * BULK

Roger Frank                                rfrank at rfrank.net
Ponderosa High School                       Parker, Colorado