[CLUE-Tech] Cisco 678 Configuration

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Wed Dec 3 09:40:48 MST 2003

That's pretty wild. Under the ARP section it complains about two invalid
MAC addresses answering for 192.168.1.1, one after another and they are
exactly 1 digit apart. That isn't a multicast MAC address, so it has
absolutely no reason to be there. They also don't match the MAC address of
the ethernet port on your Cisco 678.

I'd guess that's the key to the whole situation. Any time a host on your
home network tries to get to something out on the 'net it will have to
send to your 678, and if someone else is answering ARP requests for that
address, you'll have problems. Sorry if that came across as networking
101, I'd guess you already know that but I threw it in for completeness.
:)

Are you sure there isn't something on your LAN assigned to that address?
Doesn't seem likely since you said you connected directly to the 678 and
it still didn't work.

Have you tried doing a traceroute from somewhere out on the Internet (dial
in, perhaps) to your 678? I know you said Qwest can get to it, but if
there's some bizarre routing problem between Qwest and where you're dialed
in they'll not see it. This still won't explain the ARP weirdness,
however.

You could also unplug the 678 from the network, try to ping 192.168.1.1
and fire up ethereal to see if anything else is trying to answer for that
address or sending back ARP replies.

If worse comes to worse you can just blow the configuration off the 678
and start over. Maybe something is "stuck" in the config. This will be a
lot easier than trying to put a new CBOS image.