[CLUE-Tech] Cisco 678 Configuration

Alex Young ayoung at email.com
Wed Dec 3 10:13:07 MST 2003

> [...]
>
> I thought setting it up here in Bellingham, WA would be a breeze.  I've got DSL
> with Qwest here, also. The network is DMT, just as it was in Denver.
>
> The router doesn't seem to be routing, sort of.  When I connect it to the phone
> line it trains and the wan0 port(s) link up with the upstream network.
> The "inside" eth0 is configured to the standard class C 192.168.1.1 with the
> internal DHCP server configured to dish out IP's.  And, NAT is enabled.  I've
> also enabled the telnet server so my ISP's techies could try and help me figure
> out why it won't work.
>
> Using the serial management interface, from the cbos prompt I can ping and
> traceroute to public IP's out on the net.  And, the support folks at my ISP can
> telnet into the router from the outside.  IMO, this cofirms that there are no
> problems with the wan0 interface.
>
> LAN hosts connected either directly to the router, or via a hub get assigned
> IP's with the appropriate gateway and DNS servers.  These hosts can ping the
> router's eth0 interface (192.168.1.1) and each other.  However, they cannot
> telnet to the router's eth0 interface.  And AFAICT, they can't ping anything
> past the router's eth0 interface.  Maybe the ping requests are getting out, but
> the replies aren't getting back.
>
> Using the serial management interface, from the cbos prompt I cannot ping any
> of my LAN hosts.  I've run ethreal on my laptop and confirmed that no ping
> requests are comming from the router.  And, I've also captured the results of
> pinging the router from my laptop, along with other expriments.
>
> Here's a link to the ethreal output file [tcpdump format]:
>
>   http://www.arabie.org/pub/ethreal.out
>
> The only questionable thing I've seen on the router is the arp table.  On a
> number of occaisions I've seen entries labeled as "invalid" and the MAC address
> for the entry doesn't match either my laptop or the router.  I've cleared the
> router's arp table, rebooted it, and tried again but the thing still won't
> work.  These entries appear when I try to telnet to hosts outside my LAN.  Or,
> when I try to telnet to the public IP assigned to the router's wan0-0 interface.
>
> Here's a link to a transcript of my cbos session:
>
>   http://www.arabie.org/pub/cisco678.txt
>
> If you scan down to my "show nat" and "show arp" commands, those correspond to
> times when I've tried to telnet out from an internal host.
>
> I'm dropping the router off with my ISP, and I think they are gonna have a
> loaner for me.  Their techie is going to have a look at it.  So far, they don't
> know what the problem is.
>
> I'm stumped.  It has to be some sort of config problem.  I'm ready to flash the
> thing with a new cbos image.  It's running v2.4.3, and I think the current it
> 2.4.6.  However, I'm not sure how to do that. Since I can't even connect via
> telnet, I doubt tftp would work.  How would I get the image onto it?
>
> Maybe one of you networking guru's will have an idea...

Randy,

I'm not really a networking guru, but I do have a working 678 I can telnet into, and I did notice one interesting difference:

My route table:

[TARGET]         [MASK]           [GATEWAY]       [M][P] [TYPE]    [IF]   [AGE]
0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0          1     SA        WAN0-0   0
10.0.0.0         255.255.255.0    0.0.0.0          1     LA        ETH0     0
216.87.87.0      255.255.255.0    0.0.0.0          1     A         WAN0-0   0

WAN Interfaces...
216.87.87.1      255.255.255.0    0.0.0.0          1     HA        WAN0-0   0

Perhaps you should be setting your gateways to 0.0.0.0?

Just a thought.

-Alex