[CLUE-Tech] ASP alternative.

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Thu Dec 4 15:21:56 MST 2003

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 7:39 pm, David Anselmi wrote:

> PHP pages seem similar to ASP (less so to ASP .NET), but it doesn't seem
> quite object oriented enough to me.  Still...

Look at php 5 - it's object-oriented.  And, php 4 was object-oriented enough -
did not have polymorphism or protected variables (which are features I like
to use).  OTH - With php 4, encapsulation into classes was not a problem and
worked as expected, compared to other OO paradigms.  Also, you'll want to
utilize PEAR to build forms and so forth - it's definitely object-oriented
and will save you a lot of time hooking up with databases, writing forms,
etc.

JSPs are great, but they have (IMHO) a much higher learning curve.  If you go
that route, you'll probably want to use struts and tiles as they make life
much easier for JSP development.

My first choice is PHP as I think the learning curve is shorter, but I use
both regularly.

Jeff

--
http://isuma.org/