[CLUE-Tech] SMTP relay attempts - what to do?

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Fri Dec 5 22:30:52 MST 2003

Greetings.

I have SASL configured to work with postfix SMTP - just turned it on this
morning.   Only authenticated users are allowed to relay, which I confirmed
via testing.  Already, I'm seeing attempts by random spam scum to use my SMTP
server:

Dec  2 08:02:55 bluespark postfix/smtpd[25652]: reject: RCPT from
unknown[210.202.214.141]: 554 <orblist at seed.net.tw>: Recipient address
rejected: Relay access denied; from=<orblist at mail.apol.com.tw>
to=<orblist at seed.net.tw>

Dec  5 09:09:59 bluespark postfix/smtpd[29596]: reject: RCPT from
dialup-67.73.1.44.Dial1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net[67.73.1.44]: 554
<billpike37 at inbox.lv>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied;
from=<mjkiw at starzentrale.de> to=<billpike37 at inbox.lv>

My question:  Should I do anything about this folks, such as report their
actions to their ISP?  My guess is that since it's friday night, these
scumbags get a dialup account and spam for the weekend.  By the time the ISP
sees my message on Monday, it's already too late.

They cannot use my SMTP server to relay, since it's not open.  I'm just
philosophically opposed to this bs and I'm wondering what other mail admins
do about it (if anything).

Thanks
--
http://isuma.org/