[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Dec 12 07:11:56 MST 2003

Quoting "Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silverklein.net>:

> * Randy Arabie (randy at arabie.org) wrote:
> > my cdrom tray won't open.  not by pushing the button on front, nor using
> eject
> > whith the device [/dev/scd0 or /cdrom].
> >
> > any clues on why that might be.  i have two drives, one regular and another
> rw.
> >  the rw one works, and this one used to...i have not made any hardware
> changes.
> >
> > i have switched distro's, from debian to libranet, but the config is pretty
> much
> > the same.  fwiw, i did get to open at least once and know it works.  i
> could
> > mound a data disk and played a music cd.
> >
> > i have had similar trouble before, but never really worked out why it
> didn't
> > work and then did.
>
> I could be crazy, but isn't the 'eject' command part of scsi?  Is this
> and ide drive that sometimes may have been mounted as ide-scsi, and now
> happens to be mounted as ide, so the eject command is ingored?

It is an IDE drive, but is configured with the scsi emulation/drives.  The my
cdrw is configured the same way, on another ide bus.  It is /dev/scd1 and the
eject works fine with it.

When I try the eject command or the button on the front, I can hear and feel
vibration.  It seems the motor want's to eject the tray.  I guess it could be
broken :(

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy