[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Dec 13 12:17:04 MST 2003

Randy Arabie wrote:
[...]
> I do too!  As I mentioned in my first response to Dave, I wasn't at the console
> when I made that statement.  I guess the mount command reads /proc/mounts,
> formats the output based on the contents of /etc/fstab, then sends it to the
> console.

Mount displays the contents of /etc/mtab, not /proc/mounts.  The format
has nothing to do with fstab, except that both are determined by the
mount code.

It is possible to mount something without updating mtab (see mount -n),
like the first mount of / in read-only mode.  So mtab (and thus mount
itself) might lie to you.