[CLUE-Tech] spam assassin

Casagrande, Steve Steve.Casagrande at echostar.com
Wed Dec 17 16:34:00 MST 2003

Why not just do this:

 $ grep -e "identified spam" /var/log/maillog* | grep "for bart" | wc -l

Your example found the union, you want the intersection.

You might also want to play with "cut", "sort", and "uniq" to print out the
list of spam counts for each user.  I'm away from a unix box right now (and
it's been a while), but how about this (not sure about the cut part... I can
never seem to remember if it starts with f0 or f1!)

	$ grep "identified spam" /var/log/maillog* | cut -d' ' -f5 |cut -d:
-f1 | sort | uniq -c

First grep pulls only the spam lines
First cut jumps to the user name (5th field)
Second cut pulls out everything after the ":" (didn't want that)
Sort the names so that
Uniq can count them.

I think some versions of uniq can handle unsorted lists... but this should
always work.

Steve Casagrande