[CLUE-Tech] PostgreSQL (non-)error logging on RedHat

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Dec 19 13:34:23 MST 2003

Well, yesterday I put up an online demo of my magnificent new software
package, which uses PostgreSQL. And sometime last night or early this
morning, PostgreSQL crashed. So of course, I went looking for the log
file to see if I could find out why. Much to my chagrin, I found there
was no log file--and now I know why: RedHat Linux 8.0 starts PostgreSQL
like this (c&p'ed from /etc/init.d/postgresql):

    su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p \
        /usr/bin/postmaster start  > /dev/null 2>&1" < /dev/null

... so all the output is going to /dev/null ?!! Both common sense and
the PostgreSQL manual strongly recommend keeping a log ... but before I
go ahead and fix it, is there any good reason for *not* logging? Or
should RedHat be drawn and quartered for this?

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)