[CLUE-Tech] Buying an IP.

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 19 19:20:26 MST 2003

Anyone know how to own your own IP address, or block of addresses?  I
overheard someone say that with IPv6 you can't do this and that he owned
his own IPv4 address.

My office seems to do this because when we switch ISPs we keep our
addresses (well, we're federal government and we have a decent number of
/24 blocks so that doesn't mean anything for individuals).

You can get (no cost) IPv6 addresses (a /48) from places like
freenet6.net but those seem to be allocated out of an experimental range
so it hardly seems like ownership.