[CLUE-Tech] Very Slow X Start w/ Nvidia Binary

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Dec 23 16:31:41 MST 2003

Hey,

I have an Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS (older) graphics card.  Most of the time,
I run the open source 'nv' driver that comes with X and Debian.
However, I do have a copy of Quake3 and a couple of other old games that
once in a blue moon I want to play.

So, with the guilt one feels at running a 'tainted' kernel because of
the insertion of the nvidia binary module, I usually run the open source
one.

However, when I do choose to fire up the Nvidia driver, I have a *very*
long wait from the time I type 'startx' to the time the X server
starts up.  On the order of 3-5 minutes.  KDM won't start at all.
During this time, the keyboard will not respond, and even pings and ssh
attempts from remote machines time out.  By all measures, the box is
completely dead for several minutes.  I used to just turn it off, but by
accident learned that it will eventually start X if one waits it out.

I have been unable to find anything about this on Google.  I can't
pinpoint exactly when it started doing this.  Both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
react this way.  This is the unstable branch of Debian.  There are no
log files that seem to have any indication of what might be going on.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?  Any ideas?

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==