[CLUE-Tech] ext2 file corruption

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Dec 24 23:56:49 MST 2003

Hi Folks.

I know this sounds whacko. But I'm 99% certain I'm getting some
file-corrupting behavior on an ext2 filesystem. Regrettably, I have really
nothing much to go on here, as the last fsck on the filesystem passed fine
-- but I'll do another shortly.

I happened upon this by accident, as I was cleaning some things out of my
home directory. I openned a file in vi to see what it was, and found the
contents of two files in it. Due to the divergent content, there's just no
way that I would have appended them, and besides, the older content is
below the newer. Of course, this now has me concerned.

I had thought that ext2 was rock solid.

Yeah, I could have made a typo at some time, but my habits for naming
files argues against a missing character or transposition.

I guess I'll be downloading the "SMARTS" package, and testing the hd.
Other than that, any suggestions for tracking things down?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/