[CLUE-Tech] KVM Switches

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 29 15:09:53 MST 2003

* Russell Glissmann (rglissmann at rfgsolutions.com) wrote:
> Hi all;
> Does anybody use KVM switches?  I've got a problem that when I switch
> from one machine to another, then back again, my mouse is basically
> useless.  I've found in some instances that restarting the GPM daemon
> restores proper operation, but not always.
> I'm not always using the same machines, and not always Linux, so I don't
> believe that using something like VNC is particularly an option.
> However, I am open to suggestions.

I'm afraid I don't have much positive to offer. I used to use a KVM
switch. I tried several brands -- from the very cheap, to the very
expensive. I couldn't live with any of them. Aside from monitor
ghosting, no matter how nice the cables I bought were, I also had
troubles with the mouse.

I THINK, but it has been awhile, that I could solve most of my mouse
problems by making sure it was configured as the dumbest of dumb PS/2
mice.  No scroll-wheel, no more than two buttons, etc.  But I was not
really willing to live with that limitation.  I ended up trying a) a
serial console for the Linux firewall machine, and b) just plugging the
monitor and keyboard/mouse from my Linux box into a very rarely used
Windows machine.

Probably won't be much help, but who knows.

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==