[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sun Feb 2 18:03:23 MST 2003

On Sunday 02 February 2003 02:58 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> > I generally use VIM for most of my work.  However, when I need to write
> > prose (often in in text format), I find VIM hard to work with.  I love it
> > for coding, but not for writing.
>
> Why? What is it about writing "prose" that makes it unpleasant while
> it's a good editor for coding?

Because of my propensity to hit the <ESC> key when I finish typing a word.
Usually, whilst coding, I will need to move around after typing and so I am
in the habit of leaving insert mode and moving to the movement mode in vi.

> How long ago was it that you tried Star Office? Have you tried
> OpenOffice? I've used OpenOffice a little bit to test it out, never had
> a crash -- but then I haven't used it for long periods, so it's hard to
> say just how reliable it would be long-term.

Here's my biggest complaint about 6.0 Star Office.  This same thing happened
in 5.2.  I'll be happily editing.  Then, I'll decide to spell-check and guess
what?  It hangs and I lose all of my changes since my last save.  I haven't
tried Open Office because the fonts are not as clean as in Star Office
version.  Also, as a Mandrake Club member, I got SO for 'free'.

Jeff

--
    planet earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/