[CLUE-Tech] Linux and Wireless

Mike Miller mmiller1106 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 11:49:23 MST 2003

We did a pilot project on WiFi last February at the office. We ordered 7
WAP11 cards, two were v2 cards and the rest were v1. I've noticed a BIG
difference in sensitivity between them, and an other order of magnitude
difference between the v2 card and an Orinoco Gold card we got for
netstumble with.

It may be a moot point as I'm getting an 802.11g card and the wife's
laptop is being returned to the office.

As it is, I can run one coax across the ceiling of the basement and run
the antenna up the stairwell, it can ALMOST reach the midpoint of the
house that way.

Our house is a couple of years old and doesn't HAVE a lot of copper
pipe. It's mostly a PVC like substance.

Now the home ground wire DOES run right past the basestation....and it
connects to the tub in the master bedroom on the far side of the house.
It's a pity I don't know more about antenna design. :)

The 'bulk' of the house sits on the front of the property, I don't get a
whole lotta range out the front door. The BACK of the house is nearly
floor to ceiling windows...I can get a good 800-1000 feet out the back
door and still get an excellent signal. (Damn Coyotes and rabbits better
not be sniffing my WiFI! :) )