[CLUE-Tech] CD burning

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Feb 11 15:50:33 MST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:23:23 -0700
Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:

> On 01-29 11:34, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> > You can make an image with both Rock Ridge & Joliet extensions, but if
> > I'm planning to ever use the disc under windows, I just use Joliet.
> > If it's strictly Unix/Linux CD then I use Rock Ridge.
> Since I already burned the disc with Rock Ridge, does anyone have an
> idea how he might be able to read Rock Ridge on Windoze? I tried
> googling for some answers, but didn't come up with anything.

It seems to me that a long while ago, I was able to read a Rockridge CD on
Windoze. And that was Win'95. I was just curious, so I tried it. I could
be mistaken about that.

> Argh. I thought these problems were ironed out in the past, for some
> reason. What sort of standards body comes up with 8.3 filenames, anyway?
> Argh. And why didn't the industry agree on just *one* extension?

ROTFL. Dream on Alice. ;-)

You youngsters don't know how good you have it. I've worked on systems
where the filename limit was 6.3 -- it didn't seem all that bad, when it
was the only thing you'd ever had available. Oh, and you were restricted
to uppercase letters and digits (other than the dot seperator).

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl