[CLUE-Tech] LILO Boot Problem

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Wed Feb 12 10:50:19 MST 2003

On Wednesday, 12 February 2003 at  9:52:29 -0700, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:

<---SNIP--->

> It's been so long since I looked at the BIOS screen on my P133 (haven't
> turned it on in over a year), that I don't remember whether that's normal
> or not. I do remember fussing around with LARGE vs. LBA, but it might not
> have been on that machine. Have your tried booting the box with those
> options, or just NORMAL. The whole point of LBA is that the drive remaps
> the geometry, in effect reporting something the BIOS can deal with. It
> lies. Typically, in the past anyway, it would over-report the number of
> heads, and underreport something else, because the BIOSes of those days
> couldn't deal with the number of cylinders (I think) used by the larger
> drives. The drive itself would re-map the RAW IO request coming from the
> BIOS to correspond to the actual head/cylinder mapping. So, using LBA
> mode, the geometry won't look right. But if the reported size is correct,
> it's probably OK.

Well, that would be really nice.  I assumed that if the gemotry reported
by the BIOS didn't match the actual disk geometry I would be "in for
trouble."  I don't recall if the size was the same or not.  I'll check
that tonight, and if it is as it should be I'll switch the bios setting
over to LBA and see what happens.

Thanks.
--
Allons Rouler!