[CLUE-Tech] X on Woody

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Wed Feb 12 20:16:45 MST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:12:16PM -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> So, I thought I'd back up and try to get gpm working first. I installed gpm,
> and I get mouse support.

I have found that gpm can interfere w/ the X-Mouse - don't run it if you
don't need it.

On my woody, the mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux.

But, my XF86Config-4 says to use:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
        Option      "Buttons"               "5"
	Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
	Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
	Option	    "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

It works here - I think the emulate3buttons stuff is redundant as I have
a logitec optical mouse now with more than 3 buttons.

The ZAxis gets the wheel working.

HTH

> Another question: how do I turn off gpm/xdm trying to launch at
> startup? Until I get this working, there is little point in that trying to
> launch. :) I checked /etc/inittab, and it didn't look like it's set there.

You can remove the package, or set your default runlevel to 3

# /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
# $Id: inittab,v 1.9 2001/05/31 10:37:50 knopper Exp $

# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:

(or comment out these lines (near the bottom of my /etc/inittab) :

#w5:5:wait:/bin/sleep 2
#x5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/xsession start

aloha,
dave