[CLUE-Tech] hwclock on debian

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Feb 18 15:58:16 MST 2003

I'm trying to get one of my debian boxes to report the proper time.

My hardware clock (BIOS) is set to UTC.  It seems that on debain a check
is made by /etc/init.d/hwclockfirst.sh to see what the hardware clock is
set to.  It reads that from line 13 of /etc/default/rcS, where mine says
UTC=yes.

My /etc/timezone file says US/Mountain and I have a symbolic link called
/etc/localtime that points to /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain.

hwclock --show prints the UTC time, and date prints the same time, but
claims it is MST.

When I set this machine up initially, the hwclock was set to local time.
I've since changed that, and changed the setting in my /etc/default/rcS
file to UTC=yes.

It seems that isn't sufficient.  Anyone have advice?

I just read a few posts back in April, Warren was having similar
troubles and he made some changes in /etc/sysconfig/clock, but I don't
have an /etc/sysconfig/ directory.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy