[CLUE-Tech] What to do with a bunch of Ultra-1's

Jeremy Huber jhuber at fallenknight.org
Thu Feb 20 09:03:37 MST 2003

Ok, so here at work, I've got a pile of old Sun Ultra 1 machines that were
intended to have external drives, so without them, they're basically just
diskless (and video-less) workstations.  Most of the JBODs that went with
them have bitten the dust, so I'm left with tossing them, or finding a
creative use for them.

I had wanted to try a cluster out, but I have really no idea where to start.
I've gotten as far as getting the master server built running Aurora Linux
1.0, and having at least one node netboot off of it and mount it's root via
NFS.  Then I realized that Mosix (what I was going to use for the
clustering) only runs on x86.  So... now here's where I ask for help /
advice.  What do I do next?  Is it worth trying to figure out how to get it
running a Beowulf?  (granted 8 Ultrasparc I processors running at 154Mhz
won't be a screamer in any case..)  If so, what do I need to start on?  The
Beowulf howtos are cryptic at best..

Or are there other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeremy