[CLUE-Tech] RH8 question

Ski Dawg skidawg at plbb.net
Fri Feb 21 18:34:11 MST 2003

I have what may seem to be a somewhat odd question.

I have an old 486DX2 66 (32MB RAM) computer that I am trying to make
into a firewall system. I wanted to install RH8 on it, but officially
RH8 doesn't support anything below a Pentium.

The reason that I am wanted to use 8 is because it is the latest and in
theory, the update process shouldn't take very long. I tried to install
RH7.3, but that didn't work (installer doesn't work on this system). If
I install RH7.2 it will take me the next 2 days running up2date (and
manually updating) just to get the system close to ready.

I have been able to get through the entire install process with RH8
(before I found out about RH8's kernel problem with 486's), but at the
end, it doesn't install any kernels. It also didn't setup any boot
information since no kernel was installed. Is there a way that I can
tell it to use a different kernel package/rpm that I supply (like one
from 7.3 or something). I have been doing an http install on the 386
machine from a webserver within my network if that makes any kind of
difference.

I was able to boot the system with KNOPPIX, and get to everything that I
previously installed under RH8, but the boot directory and the /usr/src
directories are empty. I tried downloading a kernel from kernel.org and
compiling that from scratch, but I couldn't get that to work correctly
(too many problems to name here).

I would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer with with problem.

--
Doug

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
Uptime: at 6:33pm up 77 days, 9:00
Random Thought:
If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to.
		-- Dorthy Parker