rgrep? [was Re: [CLUE-Tech] xargs]

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jan 5 23:13:53 MST 2003

* Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 17:55:09 -0700
> David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:
>
> > Huh?  My debian testing system shows rgrep to be part of the grep
> > package.  It's actually just a shell script for grep -r and this grep is
>
> $ file `which rgrep`
> /usr/bin/rgrep: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> Hmmmm ...

Perhaps it is just a hard-link? My man page for grep says that egrep
and fgrep are hard links for grep -E and grep -F, respectively. It does
not mention rgrep, even though I have it as a symbolic link. I checked
'file', it does not give any indication that a file is a hard-link (I
don't believe it could).

And then, of course, egrep and fgrep do *not* seem to be hard links on
my system, but separate files.  And rgrep is a symbolic link.

Aside: grep and egrep have different inode numbers. So they have to be
different files, not just egrep hard-linked to grep, right? (I ruled out
symbolic links)

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==