[CLUE-Tech] rpm command hangs

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Sat Jan 11 07:56:19 MST 2003

I tried updating gaim via rpm.  I downloaded the package from
gaim.sourceforge.net (or, actually, one of the mirrors listed there).  I
issued a "rpm -Uvh gaim...rpm", the screen showed the two progress bars,
reached 100%, and then just hung.

After 5 minutes I tried control-C, no response, then kill from another
session, no response, and finally kill -KILL.

I tried "rpm -q gaim" to see what version I had, and that did not come
back, either.  I went to bed and in the morning that command had still
not come back, and the cron rpm job that runs each night also was still
running.

A top command does not show these processes as consuming any significant
processor/memory resources.