[CLUE-Tech] solved: apache 2 and perl and post requests

Friedman, Jason Jason.Friedman at janus.com
Mon Jan 13 11:23:23 MST 2003

A while back I posed this question:  why did Apache 2 choke on POST
requests processed by Perl scripts?  I had noticed this problem
immediately after upgrading from Apache 1.3.27.

The problem was, I believe, that my Perl scripts were attempting to
create files (in this case, dbitrace.log to examine the DBI commands).
Under Apache 1.3.27 it appeared that Apache, unable to write to the file
(permissions on the file were 640), wrote the output to the error_log
instead.  It appears that Apache 2 won't attempt to write to the
error_log instead:  it just sits there, and eventually the browser gets
tired of waiting and complains.  I opened the permissions on the
dbitrace.log file to 666 and Apache 2 is happy now.