[CLUE-Tech] Login shell w/ SSH

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jan 15 07:43:52 MST 2003

Timothy C. Klein wrote:
[...]
> I think the idea is this: .bash_login will do the things that only need
> to be done when you first log into the system. .bashrc will do the stuff
> that you need to have for your day to day use on every instance of bash.
> Every bash instance should use .bashrc, but every instance does not have
> to use .bash_login.

.bash_login, .profile, and .bash_profile are run by login shells.
.bashrc is run by interactive shells.  Login shells do not run .bashrc
(if you want that sort of behavior, code it in .bash_login).

For definitions of "login shell", "interactive shell", and the details
of what gets run in which order, see bash(1) in the INVOCATION section.