[CLUE-Tech] Ghostscript issues..

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Jan 20 13:15:30 MST 2003

OK, fellas, I've got a real noodle-scratcher for you all.

I've got a handful of servers that use Ghostscript.  TWo of these servers
have ghostscript 5.50, and two of these servers have ghostscript 7.03.
Both versions are the NON gnu ones. (www.ghostscript.com).   Well, I moved
a web site (a large one) from the two 'older' ones to the two 'newer' ones
recently, and as a result, I've got broken pdfs.  Here's what happens:

1.  A template is read (.ps)
2.  another program substitutes items in that template with other values.
3. ps2pdf is called on the ps file, and a pdf is generated.
4. The user is re-directed to the pdf's URL, and life goes on.

Well.  I successfullly compiled gs on the new servers (tried both GNU and
non-GNU versions) and I noticed that on these pdfs, there are missing
certain letters and numbers: F,H,K,V,X,Z  and 4,7, and 8.  Wierd, is all I
can really say.

SO!  I've tried re-compiling, searching google, and all that jazz.  But I
find no solution. Even wierder is the fact that these servers have the
*exact same fonts* for ghostscript, meaning that these oddities aren't
warranted at ALL!  I'm going beserk here because I have no real reasons
for these pdfs to be incorrect. Yet, they are.

Ideas?

adamb at glaven.org
[ www.glaven.org ]