[CLUE-Tech] SSH through Cisco

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri Jan 24 13:03:56 MST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I can't seem to get SSH to go through my Cisco 678 box. My config:
>
> Cisco 678, internal IP: 10.0.0.1
> Linksys Wireless Access Point, external IP: 10.0.0.2, internal:
> 192.168.1.1

I don't know about the effect of having the Linksys in there.  I have a
Linksys 10-port UTP hub putting all my boxes into a Cisco 675 (somewhat
similar to 678, I believe).

Here's what I did to set up ssh access from the outer world:

---
12:51PM 501 % telnet 10.0.0.1                                     /home/bediger
Trying 10.0.0.1...
Connected to 10.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.

User Access Verification
Password:*******

cbos>set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 22
% user must be in enable mode to access this command

cbos>enable
Password: ********

cbos#set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 22

cbos#
-----

After that (no "write", no reboot), I could use "ssh" on a linux box on
an AT&T cablemodem to get back in to the linux box that has 10.0.0.2
on my home network.

Have you tried using "ssh" in verbose mode to see what's going on?

$ ssh -v -v -l userID some.other.host

Might show you where the timeout or hang takes place.