[CLUE-Tech] apache redirect to another directory on same server.

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Jul 1 17:28:10 MDT 2003

I have tomcat4 running underneath apache 2.0.46.  I want to redirect clients
from / to /webapp/index.jsp.  (Since I am using Tomcat (serving a J2EE web
application, I cannot simply change the DocumentRoot).  But, I tried this:

	Redirect permanent /    /webapp/index.jsp

but apache complianed that /webapp/index.jsp is not a URI.  If I do this:

	Redirect permanent /    http://www.example.com/webapp/index.jsp

it results in an infinite redirect loop.

I know that I could put a blank HTML page /index.html that contains a META
redirect tag to /webapp/index.jsp.  But I thought apache would be able to
handle it.  Reading the apache docs on Redirect, it's not clear to me that
Redirect is meant to redirect the user to a different location on the same
server.  Is this my misunderstanding?

I appreciate any suggestions.
Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."